Saturday, February 23, 2008

This time of year (February) is always lame


* This post was originally published on the Smoky Hill Blogosphere blog before the move to Blogger.


So, here I am. It's after President's Day weekend, and I always feel my energy draining at this point in the year. It doesn't help that we have been short-staffed for technology support at school, but I think that I feel low every year at this time. Just me? Maybe, but I don't think so.

So what I'm thinking is that I need to design something "innovative" for myself every year at this time. Maybe it's trying to use something I haven't had a chance to explore. I have been talking about blogs, even training people on how to use them, but I have not yet used them myself on a consistent basis. And that is going to be my chosen tool for this year.

My goal: I'm going to try to post something on my blog at least weekly and see what it's like. I need to get a firm grasp, for myself, on how these technologies can change instruction. How does a wiki differ from a blog? Why would a blog be a good tool and for what? Should we be encouraging kids to create their own or should we start with them commenting on a post? If they do create their own, what things do we need to consider in terms of public access?

Hopefully, by the time I begin seriously working with our English 9 and English 10 teachers, I'll be able to speak to using blogs with a bit more comfort and expertise. We'll see . . .