Zamzar is a free converter service that anyone can use from home (and it's EASY to use). While they also offer "paid" memberships, the free version does most of what we need. Here's how to do it:
- Go to Zamzar's website (http://www.zamzar.com). Click on the "Download Videos" tab. You'll see a place to paste in the web address.
- Find the YouTube video you want and copy the web address from your address bar in the browser.
- Decide what format you want your file to be in. For most of us @ SHHS, choosing .mov is the best option because it converts it into a QuickTime movie.
- Enter your email address.
- Click the "convert" button.
This is not a bad thing to share with students, either. I've had many kids come to our office & ask for help getting something from YouTube for a class presentation. This is a great way to give kids a workaround without having to mess with our district filter.
Caveat: the free version of Zamzar does limit the amount of video you can convert at a time. Keep an eye on your limits as that can be frustrating.