Thursday, March 6, 2008

It’s almost time for baseball in the Rocky Mountains . . .

I had my orientation meeting @ Coors Field last night, and it was the first time since I've worked there that there wasn't a single new hire. Here's what this means: those of us who worked in the Ticket Office last year were so swept up in the magic of Rockies baseball that none of us quit; and I couldn't get any of my friends jobs who actually wanted a summer job.

That being said, one of our managers reminded us that 3 years ago at our orientation meeting, we were subjected to a Powerpoint of the players because none of us knew them. In that entire Powerpoint, I recognized only Todd Helton. Names like Holliday, Hawpe, and Atkins meant absolutely nothing to me. Today, they mean everything. And let's not forget Tulo.

So, it's March and Spring Training is in full swing, and the season is full of promise. To shamelessly quote Bull Durham, "it's a long season, and you've got to trust it." We are all in 1st place right now. But this season, my shirt says, "National League Champions." And I'll be watching a National League Pennant wave in the breeze for the entire season, along with every other NL team who visits Coors Field.

So, basically, what I'm saying is, "Play ball." And GO ROCKIES!!!!