Sunday, March 9, 2008

Share and download iQuiz trivia games for iPods


* This post was originally published on the Smoky Hill Blogosphere blog before the move to Blogger.


I stumbled upon (not using stumbleupon, by the way) a podcast called Learning in Hand today, and it had 10 mini lessons on using iPods for education. To be honest, I didn't think I'd find anything totally new, but I should have known better. The gem I got was about the iQuiz game.

When I first got the set of Nanos for school, I was sort of bummed that you couldn't delete the games from the Nanos. However, my son & Mike played iQuiz first thing when they saw it. What I learned from Tony Vincent's podcast is that you can create your own quizzes for recent iPods using a piece of free software called iquizmaker from Aspyr. Here is the link: http://www.iquizmaker.com.

From what I gathered, people are just now starting to use this game to create quizzes because all of the Nanos come with the game installed. If you have a 5th gen. iPod, you can buy the game for $.99.  If you go to iquizshare.com, you can see and download quizzes that other users have created.  Not a huge list at this point, but I did find some stuff on geography & history.
Older pods can't handle it, only 3rd Gen. Nanos and anything after 5th Gen. iPods, but the cool thing is that you can create a quiz and simply email it or make it available for download for students. If students have newer iPods, they can use iQuiz to take your quiz.

Sure, it's multiple choice and a bit limiting in terms of what you can do, but like many other things, I think it's just a matter of time before something even cooler comes along. It will be sort of fun to test it out with our new class set of Nanos.