Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Simplify . . . (?)

I wish there was one tool that could do everything we need (or everything we will need in the future).  As exciting as new, free tools are, it is hard to keep track of them all.  I spoke today with a teacher who is participating in our district's Computer for Teachers program, and he was lamenting about the avalanche of tools he feels buried under (my words, not his).

Imagine what our students would feel like if several different teachers used totally different tools for instruction:  pbwiki, wetpaint, edublog, blogger, weblog (CCSD server), Blackboard, ning, voicestream, GCast, etc.  While I think that students enjoy extending their learning onto the web, how could they possibly keep track of each teacher's unique set of web tools?  And I don't know of anything that does everything we need, so what can we do?

We'll be offering a tech camp this summer, and I think we may to decide which tools we are using & be consistent.  Given the tools that Google seems to come up with daily, I think it's a matter of time until Google fits our needs.

I still wish we had a better solution.  And how hard is it to provide a web presence for the teachers in our district?  I have a feeling that I'll be fighting this battle for years.